The universe within

Monday, February 16, 2009

Concert at Sringeri

Just back from a concert at Sringeri. It turned out to be a rather tiring trip - what with the gruelling bus journey in, unfortunately, one of the rearside seats!!!
I was accompanied by Sri HK Narasimhamurthy on the violin and Sri Palladam Ravi on the mridangam.
The list follows:
  1. shloka on adi shankara followed by 'chede budhi manura' - athana - adi - thyagaraja (S)
  2. meru samana - mayamalavagowla - adi - thyagaraja (N,S)
  3. chera ravadhemira - reetigowla - adi - thyagaraja (R,S)
  4. eti janmamidhi - varali - misra chapu - thyagaraja (R)
  5. kripa joochutaku - chaya tarangini - adi - thyagaraja
  6. kaligiyunte - keeravani - adi - thyagaraja (R,S)
  7. ragamalika shlokam 'omkara panjara shukeem' followed by 'sharade karunanidhe' - hameer kalyani - misra chapu
  8. sarvam brahmamayam - madhuvanthi - adi - sadasiva brahmendra
  9. jagadodharana - kapi - adi - purandaradasa
  10. sri rama jaya rama - yadukulakambhoji - khanda chapu - thyagaraja followed by mangala shlokam in the same ragam
The concert started later than usual because the programs before mine were delayed and the violinist had a bus to catch at 8:30pm!!!!
So for the first time in my life, I had two violinists accompanying me - one till the main raagam and the second from then on!!!
I enjoyed the supporting crowd and more importantly was thrilled to see so many little kids meticulously writing down whatever was being sung.

2 Comments:

Blogger aandthirtyeights said...

My cousin once had two violinists at the same time! The one who was supposed to come didn't turn up on time. So, the violinist from the previous concert played for her, and the concert began. Half an hour into the kacheri, the original violinist turned up (apparently, she was waylaid by traffic)... So, for the remainder of the concert, there were two violinists!

9:12 AM

 
Anonymous Seetaram Bhat said...

Omkar panjara shukim upnishaddudyanam..... I had learnt when I was young.Now I am 72. I want its full script in kannada or in devanagari.I remember this was sung in one of the old movies.Shri Adi Shankar was the author of this shloka.Will you kindly help me?

4:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home