The universe within

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Concert at Calicut - Feb 2nd

The trip to Calicut was eventful in more ways than one.
First I missed my bus, then the bus journey was excruciating!!!!
Anyway, MD Rajamani maama's aradhana in Calicut was not to be missed and hence it was all worth the effort.
The concert was very well received by an overflowing audience - with some elite musicians also in attendance, including Sri Palai Ramachandran, Sri Parassala Ravi and others.
What was memorable for me was Vidwan Sri Tanjore Ramadas's accompaniment on the mridangam for me.
He is a direct disciple of Palakkad Mani Iyer and hence his playing is so full of energy and experience.
I told him before the concert that I was planning to sing the Atana kriti 'E papamu' and he immediately reminisced having played for it for DKJ, DKP, Semmangudi maama and others.
Unfortunately, I have only heard 'E Papamu'  being rendered either by Alathur Brothers or by TK Rangachari and have no other recording.
It would be fascinating to hear Semmangudi Maama's version of this masterpiece.

The list I sang on that day:
  1. Sugunamule - Chakravakam - Rupaka - S
  2. E Papamu - Atana - Misra Chapu - R,S
  3. Vaachaamagocharame - Kaikavashi - Adi
  4. E naati nomu phalamo - Bhairavi - Adi - R,N,S + Thani
  5. Sri Rama Jaya Rama - Yadukulakambhoji
Vidwan Viju S Anand played the violin while Vidwan Tanjavur Ramadas accompanied me on the Mridangam.

1 Comments:

Blogger N V Krishnan said...

Hi Ravi...Good to see that you know my maternal uncle M D Rajamani who is a great musician who encourages music immensely.. Will listen to your songs if they are there on your blog..Regards
N V K

12:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home