The universe within

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chamber Concerts

Had two back to back chamber concerts this weekend.
Saturday was at Chennai - for a gathering of folks from an online Carnatic Music portal called rasikas.org. I sang a rare Mysore Sadasiva Rao piece as part of a small elaboration - Pedda Devundani (Mohanam).
Apart from that, I chose to sing an RTP in Reetigowla as the main piece.
B Anantakrishnan was on the violin while Vidwan Mannarkoil J Balaji anna was on the Mridangam.
Sunday was a different ball game all together.
Sri Tiru Iyengar of ISKCON had specifically organized a Muthuswami Dikshitar memorial concert under the aegis of a Chamber Music Organization called Akshayaloka.
The gathering was more like a family affair but comprised serious listeners of music.
Being an exclusive Dikshitar concert, I tried to package different tempos and also tried different approaches - e.g. - I sang the memorable shlokam "Moulav Ganga" as a precursor to Ananda Natana Prakasam and the effect was pretty good I felt.
Another new thing I tried myself was to elaborate Ravikriya - offers quite a bit of scope I felt. Must work on it.
The main piece was Sri Rajagopala in Saveri with elaboration at atheetha graham ("Muraare...").

1 Comments:

Blogger hamsanandi said...

Good to read about this. Post recordings :) if you could!

11:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home